LIST OF HARAM JOBS HARAM JOB WORK WHICH JOB IS NOT HALAL IS HARAM
A haram job is by definition a working activity that is prohibited by Islamic law and is directly opposite to halal employment because it doesn’t follow the principles of Islam in terms of ethical values of the religion.
A haram job is essentially against the rules of the Sharia which imposes the way a Muslim or Muslima has to behave during a lifetime including the one related to a job position which can have a direct ethical impact on a Muslim employee.
Working haram is in the majority of employments visible directly if someone deals with pork meat, gambling or unethical things, however it’s difficult for example to figure out if a halal sandwich seller feels compliant in case some of his clients are working for casino.
A list of haram jobs is existing, however it won’t be possible to list all haram jobs which are not allowed by the Sharia, the following list should cover the majority of non halal jobs and working places:
- Employment consisting on transformation, distribution and sales of alcohol and pork products.
- Working in gambling places such as casino, poker places or horse betting platforms.
- Finance jobs which include Riba (interests).
- Finance jobs which use speculative instruments and haram investment (stocks of breweries).
- Insurances that invest in non-sharia compliant assets.
- Restaurants, coffee shops and bars that serves alcohol.
- Newspapers, websites and book editors with haram content.
- IT jobs which are linked to haram companies.
- Fashion industry which is not dedicated to Sharia compliant dresses.
- Contributing as architect or engineer for the conception of haram industry.
- Job which requires from a woman to remove her Hijab.
At the end a haram job is a job where a Muslim or Muslima is aware of working on a non-halal basis, however it is sometimes difficult to figure out what is halal job and what is haram job.
The most difficult question to answer in terms of working haram or not is when a family father has got no other choice as to earn money in a haram restaurant otherwise he would risk not to be able to feed his family. Shall he quit and let his family hunger just in order to be halal ?